J&R Excavation & Demolition’s expertise extends to site preparation for the installation of all types of retaining wall. We have the equipment for safe and efficient excavations that make installing retaining walls a breeze.
In simple terms, retaining walls are structures designed to keep soil in place. Apart from the practical purpose of preventing soil from crumbling down on your property, retaining walls can serve an aesthetic purpose and beautify your residential or commercial property.
Retaining walls are typically built in sloped areas that may be prone to erosion or flooding. However, any landscape can be enhanced by a retaining wall, which can add depth and personality to your yard.
Quality retaining wall construction begins with effective excavation, which lays the foundation for the effectiveness and durability of the structure.
- Assess the site and prepare a quote
- Acquire permit and approved engineering plan when required by municipality
- Find and mark the location of underground utilities that may be in the area to be excavated
- Remove outdated or deteriorating existing retaining structures
- Dig and remove soil and debris
- Remove and relocate landscape plants, which can be transplanted after retaining wall construction
- Prepare site for drainage system installation and geogrid soil reinforcement
Choosing an Appropriate Retaining Wall
The following must be considered when deciding on the type of retaining wall that best fits your unique situation:
- Soil Conditions
- Protection of Adjacent Structures
- Ease of Construction
- Environmental Concerns
When saving money is your primary consideration, wood retaining walls may appear to be the best choice as they have the lowest initial cost. However, the cost savings are short-lived when you consider that pressure-treated wood retaining walls may only last between 10 and 20 years.
When you consider that stone, brick, and concrete walls can last up to 100 years with minimal maintenance, wood is not as cost-effective as it may first appear. Masonry retaining walls are flexible, durable and are a more economical choice over the long term.
Get In Touch!
J&R Excavation & Demolition can help you when replacing or installing new retaining walls on your residential or commercial property. We have the expertise and equipment for a cost-effective, quality installation that will stand the test of time.
Please complete the form below or give us a call, and one of our friendly and knowledgeable associates will help you make the right choice for you and your project.